Share |
The truths they don't want you to read....

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Sporran licences

Don't laugh, they're here!

So our grossly overworked Trading Standards staff are now going to be attending weddings to check sporran licences, and interrogating fishermen to ensure that their lures have no traces of dolphin. Otherwise, how is this going to be policed?

I have a rather old sporran, which may - or may not - be seal. I don't know, and frankly I don't care, because I'm not going to get it licenced, for a number of reasons, the least of which is that the sporran pre-dates 1994.

Just how they are going to determine that the fur (assuming it is real) is from the 1980's or from after 1994 is a mystery, and likely to be unenforceable.

The worst part is that the Executive are quoted as saying "The licence will allow people who possess artefacts ... to keep them". Sorry, but my sporran is not an artefact, but an item of regular, if infrequent, dress.

Could they try to prove to be more out of touch if they tried?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think they are trying, very! I also noticed that the sporran licence was unenforciable - also reminded me of the classification of bagpipes as a weapon of war - another crude attempt to crush our spirits.