Share |
The truths they don't want you to read....

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Am I standing down??

The Gazette report and reality differ somewhat.

The facts are easily discernible in the Statutory Instrument and the Guidance notes.

1. I qualify for a £10k payment
2. To qualify I have to put my name forward by 20 October, as I have done
3. I receive the payment 14 days after the date of the election (3rd May 2007), as per section 8
4. To qualify you must not stand as a candidate on 3 May
5. If you die before 3 May, your named beneficiary receives the payment
6. You can opt to stand in May 2007, but you lose your right to the payment

If I decided not to stand next year, then I can stand as a Councillor in a bye-election later that month; I could stand as an MSP, MP or as first President of the Peoples Republic of Scotland; or indeed, return to the Comhairle in ten or twenty years time.

However, anyone who hasn't signed up just for the free life insurance cover needs their heads examined.

When I decide what I am really going to do, you'll hear it here first. ;-)

The big question is: What sort of Comhairle are we going to have if the most experienced 2/3's of the members leave??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

With the 10K payment, you can buy a lot in New York at the moment (if there wasn't the slight problem of burning up the saving advantage in getting a connecting plane to Glasgow).

Or, combined with the widely publicised Threshers 40% off online voucher (canny marketing - it was no accident), you could have a VERY merry Christmas in Chateau Campbell.

Anonymous said...

Angus,

Just what is the pay and expenses that a Councillor can receive? And are there any big changes after the election?