Share |
The truths they don't want you to read....

Monday, January 22, 2007

Politics

One of the very informative benefits of having 500 clients throughout the islands is the ability to tap into their views on the political topic of the day.

The other side of that is that I get asked for my views on individuals, incumbents, candidates and for my view - for or against - the political topic of the day. Not wishing to mislead my clients, I tend to be brutally honest, which I think they appreciate.

Recently, I've had a few clients telling me how they intend to vote and challenging me to persuade them that they are wrong; a few offering their help in the forthcoming campaign; and more than a few asking for my views on the merits and demerits of the likely candidates for the Holyrood elections.

I've been open with those clients, and I know that my position means that my words are communicated to others, making me slightly "influential" in the process.

The dilemma I face is: if I say what I believe, will that be worse than encouraging voters to hold their noses and vote for the second (or third) best candidate?

The really interesting problem is how the local result will affect the list result. That in many ways makes it easier (if my reading of the runes is correct). I'm getting very clear and consistent feedback from throughout the islands, from committed and floating voters, so I'm off to the Bookies to place a bet {if I knew how!}.

No comments: