I've blogged on this topic many times before, and yet the same culprits reappear, thinking that the law doesn't apply to them. You will remember the denial of any responsibility, followed by the swift registration.
The Register of Data Controllers is available here, and you can easily check for eligible organisations by searching by postcode.
So when voter gets the following through his mail box...
With this document
Which given that the Western Isles Constituency SNP are not a registered Data Controller, means that this mailshot is illegal. Again.
But that's not all, the Electoral Commission have issued guidance for Political Parties after it appear that (particularly Asian) families were being forced to hand over real and fraudulent postal votes to political parties.
The guidance is very clear, and reads:
Candidates and canvassers are advised:Obviously with special exclusions for Lochs and Harris. Although voters may wish to test this by complaining to the Information Commissioner.
- not to handle or help voters complete their postal ballot papers;
- to encourage voters to post or deliver ballot papers themselves;
- if asked to take a completed ballot paper to make sure that the voter has sealed it first, and to post or return it to the Returning Officer immediately;
- to ensure that voters complete ballot papers in secret and seal them personally; and
- not to solicit completed postal ballot papers from electors.
Of course, opposing candidates may wish to point out to the Returning Officer that the cost of building this database of 16,000 (?) voters should be spread over the election expenses of each of the SNP Candidates - along with postage and printing. Alternatively, the database was provided in breach of the Data Protection Act by a Data Controller.
In addition, as the SNP Council web site claims to have been commercially produced by a web design company, then a share of that cost too, needs to be added. Unless the web designer is lying about his clients.
Still, as Stornoway resident Philip McLean said, I am the enemy within