Share |
The truths they don't want you to read....

Friday, October 17, 2008

Monolingualism

School language lessons were never my forte.

Indeed, I would go further than that and say that I was crap at languages, and I could never see the relevance of the phrases in the languages that we were taught in school. That probably says as much about me as it does about the teachers.

Subsequently I have learned enough in three or four other languages to be able to do the essentials: make pleasantries, order a drink or two, order food, request the bill, get medicine for the kids, work out how much things cost, and last but not least to be able to communicate that I do not speak the language fluently.

What more do you need?

Today, I could have used the phrase:
Excuse me, but someone has done a poo in the kids pool.

No comments: