Share |
The truths they don't want you to read....

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Not gagged, just discrete

I didn't appear on the Isles FM Hustings programme last night for reasons of discretion.

I was running late - due to work commitments - and arrived at the Castle Grounds as the introductory speeches had finished. I then heard Angus Graham's question, and then my name being bandied about, and decided that whatever I was going to say could appear to be bitterness, or sticking the knife in, so I turned about and went home.

Just as well, as when I and my family get praised by my old bosom buddy Angus Graham, then I wouldn't have been able to keep my face straight. Alasdair Morrison also quoted my analysis of the impact of a national Local Income Tax (sic) on the Western Isles, and I noted that no-one quibbled with the figures. I think I heard myself described as a member of the Labour Party by Alasdair Allan, which nearly had me falling off my chair, but perhaps he was referring to someone else, and the moment passed without clarification.

End result: score draw, but I wish I was here for the Unison hustings on Tuesday night.

No comments: