Disappointing? Yes, hugely. Another waste of the Council's money in holding all the meetings and now finding another £100,000 to attend the hearings. Still, making other people spend money doesn't seem to figure on the agenda of the Executive.
Anyone thought of the consequences?
* PLI for the Lewis Wind Power applications
* PLI for the turbine in Barra (which is already having to fund a full environmental impact assessment)
* PLI for the planned turbines in South Uist for Storas Uibhist
* PLI for the turbines on the Pentland Road
* PLI for the Pairc proposal
* PLIs for all the other small community applications in the pipeline
Turning to the Pairc proposal, as you know it is currently the subject of a highly disputed attempted community buy-out, which the owner and developer are trying to stymie by negotiating on the community benefit.
Why should they now bother? There is absolutely no incentive on developers to negotiate with communities, or even with the Comhairle, or even keep them informed beyond the absolute legal minimum, on the assumption that they might as well save all the negotiating until the PLI.
The democratic input has now been removed from the residents, the communities and the Council and handed to the unelected for consideration, so that the Ministers can avoid the blame.
I would have preferred the honesty of a refusal, rather than another 5 years of legal proceedings and another Lingerbay.