Share |
The truths they don't want you to read....

Monday, November 03, 2008

Longevity

I'm posting a link to a fascinating resource about longevity throughout the UK.

It makes for informative - if scary - reading, and you may want to add your comments to the BBC website.

My immediate reaction is that comparative wealth is a major factor, and with the Western Isles having a per capita GDP of about 65% of the rest of the UK, that is bound to have a major impact.

But I suspect it is not that simple, and I think I will have to try and source the raw data to try and make more sense of this - unless, of course, the analysis is somewhere on the Health Board or Council computers.

Personally, I hope that the benefits of longevity continue to increase, keeping far enough ahead of my real age.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have absolutely no medical knowledge but would suggest the corrosive effect of climate (low UV/high levels of damp and wind), long dark nights leading to depression and drinking (or both)and poverty plus social isolation/exclusion about wrap up all the variables.

Keep the heating and lights on, keep the booze corked, keep the friends coming round and book the winter sun holiday and you should keep going into your 90s, Angus.