Share |
The truths they don't want you to read....

Sunday, January 04, 2009

New Year wishes

With the unfolding uncertainty and sadness in Uist, it has been difficult to make any comment which would avoid being misconstrued by later events, or to try to pitch the tone correctly.

So I have kept quiet, until now.

That has been quite easy, as I have had been consistently unwell since before Christmas, with a cold turning into a chest infection; followed immediately by another cold; and then joined by what I think was the flu on top of the underlying chest infection that I have not been able to shift.

I look at all the human tragedies happening across the world at this time - large and small - and wish none of them were happening. Heartbreaking as it will be for those caught up in these events, it is also incumbent on the other members of the society to help those who are suffering, in whatever way we can.

I look at the economic situation facing the country and the islands, and I worry that there are many more in this community who are going to suffer as a result of the greed and rapaciousness of the moneymen, pandering to the greed and rapaciousness of consumers.

All that being said, I do hope that 2009 is a better year for everyone and for the world in general.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said, Angus; LS

Anonymous said...

Lots of wishing and hoping in there Angus. It's a shame that our elected don't actually DO anything about it isn't it?
Agree with you that the state of the world and closer to home is worrying and heartbreaking.
I think we all need to hold on tight as the next 12 months are going to be tough for all, even those who don't find themselves in a debt ridden predicament and hope for a better 2010.