Share |
The truths they don't want you to read....

Monday, January 25, 2010

Highland Airways

With the website down, and the BBC reporting an urgent meeting between staff and management it appears that my prediction was right, although I deliberately did not identify the firm.

Phone calls and emails over the weekend updated me on the position, and I am told that the administrators are being appointed this morning, after last minute negotiations over finance stalled.

What will happen to the scheduled flights, and especially the vital hospital shuttle between Benbecula and Stornoway?

I understand that the flights will continue to be run by the administrators in the short-term until the company's situtation is fully understood, but I also understand that the expectation is that the route will be handed to another operator as soon as it practicable.

Sad news, which reduces our choices for travel.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear of Highland Airways problems. My son did a work experience there and loved it. Keeping my fingers crossed for them.

Thewhitesettler said...

Hopefully this important link, for the islanders, will be saved somehow. Life is NOT all about balancing the books, or am I wrong?
Cheery Tws...

Anonymous said...

Loss of competition will always be a bad thing.

Once, I was to take the morning ferry to Ullapool, which was cancelled because of bad weather. I had to get to Inverness airport for an afternoon flight with Easyjet, which of course cannot be cancelled.

So that morning I booked online with Highland airways, getting a seat literally 2 hours before departure for £40. Flybe also ran that service and they wanted £100 for the short hop to Inverness.

Anonymous said...

I have always found highland airways very good. I flew to Inverness recently with them on a Saturday morning and the flight was only £30 single, what surprised me is that there was hardly anyone else on the plane.

Anonymous said...

Angus,

I have a very good view of Highland Airways.

If you are the psychic that you claim to be... could you not have done the 101 staff a favour and given a solution to the problem. (I say 101 as the 5 directors were probably aware!)

As it is, they are still trading, Talks are still ongoing and they certainly wont give up without a fight.

All being well, the website will be reopen soon. (check the front page of it for that update).

All not being well.. it's a huge shame that such a fantastic wee organisation should fail after 19 years.

Anonymous said...

If you are the psychic that you claim to be... could you not have done the 101 staff a favour and given a solution to the problem. (I say 101 as the 5 directors were probably aware!)

Erm, firstly are you suggesting that Angus should have single handedly saved Highland Airways?

I know he's good but surely he has other things on his mind like his own business and all his clients.

Also, surely it is / was the 5 directors jobs to give a solution to the problem as that is why they are directors and that is what they get paid handsomely for........