Share |
The truths they don't want you to read....

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Human Rights, human wrongs

"Help, help, you're oppressing me!", said a character in Monty Python's Life of Brian to the Roman overlords.

Such 'oppression' seems rife in the UK today:

Dr Dena Coleman, the head teacher of a Jewish orthodox school, and her husband, Gordon, claim they are kept prisoner in their holiday flat on the Sabbath because when they leave it they trigger the light in the communal hallway.

Orthodox Jews hold that the biblical prohibition of lighting a fire on the Sabbath also embraces the switching on of electric lights. The Sabbath begins at sunset on Friday and lasts until Saturday night.

The Colemans claim their human rights are being breached and are suing the flats' management company, which includes their neighbours, for failing to accommodate their religion.
All together now..... Love thy neighbour

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sunglasses?

Captain Swing said...

Barking, absolutely barking.

What is it coming to when the most important thing in your life is whether a security light comes on or not on a day that is not legally recognised in this country.

And who buys a property on the understanding that motion sensing security light won't be installed?

And this is only a holiday £200,000flat. Most people I know could only dream of having a holiday home let alone be concerned whether it had security light or not.

I hope they lose and get taken to the cleaners. I feel really sorry for the other 35 residents who through no fault of their own have to put up with neighbours like this.

Still I suppose it could be worse you could live on the Isle of Lewis and live next door to someone who wants to travel by Ferry on a Sunday!

Anonymous said...

I think Angus might be mischeviously suggesting a compare and contrast" exercise....

Perhaps the local Jewish Orthodox community will complain about the ferry running on Saturdays.

And the Muslims complaining about it running on Fridays.

Anonymous said...

I think the point of this posting is to highlight that the Jewish "Sabbath" is held on very different days to the Lewis "Sabbath" and then you have your seventh day adventists and all the other god botherers.

Agree that to try to invoke your own beliefs on others to the point that you plan to sue them for not respecting your beliefs is looney tunes. But then we're used to that up here aren't we?

Anonymous said...

8.04 - and Thorsdays! Everyone always forgets Thorsdays.

I've a mind to sue, you know, for the blatant and racist disregard of this very traditional Innse Gall tradition.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure I have a touch of the Viking in me. I resent being made to work, or travel by longship/ferry, on a Thorsday.

If I analyzed my DNA closely enough, I'm sure I could come up with enough reasons to stay indoors and do biggar all for the whole week.

Anonymous said...

Hi Angus,

I thought that the lines came from Monty Python & The Holy Grail.

The full part being (from my very addled mind):
"Help! Help! He's oppressing me!"
"Will you shut up?"
"Help help come and see the violence inherent in the system!"
"Bloody Peasant!"
"Did you hear that? He called me a peasant!"
And so and so forth.

{:-)))

Angus said...

I am corrected by anon.

I have the Python box set which I should have checked, but I no remember the scene....

IIRC, Eric Idle and his mother (Terry Jones) are collecting mud, which is the sole source of income for their poverty stricken village....