Share |
The truths they don't want you to read....

Friday, June 01, 2007

Wardriving in Uist

Not a phrase I had ever thought I would use, but that's life.

Wardriving n. is the act of searching for Wi-Fi wireless networks by a person in a moving vehicle using a Wi-Fi-equipped computer, such as a laptop or a PDA, to detect the networks.

It's different from piggybacking, which is the unauthorised use of said found network, which - of course - I hypothetically wrote about doing, allegedly - and wouldn't actually do as it is naughty, which someone pointed out to me after the supposed fact. No matter how desperate one might be.

Anyway, after my experiences in Lochmaddy, I found myself stopping as I approached my later appointments and checking for available networks in the area in a kind of desperate, adrenalin rush, ooh 'amn't I dangerous' sort of way. It was quite amazing to see the number of unsecured networks I was picking up, and devices that tried to identify themselves to me.

Anyway, lots of identified weaknesses if I was that way inclined - which I am not - and I have marked for other wardrivers, but not piggybackers.

The Uist 'warchalk' markings are as follows:
Open node - blue plastic bag tied to the fence and knotted
Closed node - sheep tied to fence
WEP node - salmon feed bag tied to fence

You can't miss these markings - have fun!

No comments: