Share |
The truths they don't want you to read....

Friday, May 25, 2007

Losing my benefits

Since leaving the Comhairle there is a period of readjustment as the house is emptied of the various pieces of rubbish that have gathered over the years. I've kept some very important documents and reports, and some pieces of correspondence that may 'come in useful' later.

I've also kept the reports on the major events that occurred during my time as a Councillor, and the various minutes of meetings, just in case anything reappears in due course.

My Comhairle email address has been cancelled, which has dramatically reduced the spam which I receive, and is a blessing.

Unfortunately, the mailing lists have not kept pace with the reality, and I am still receiving copies of letters, invites to conferences and magazines. In the later category "Recycling and Waste World" have invited me to renew my subscription for their magazine. As I suspect the 'subscription' came about from my position as Chair, I'm not planning to spend the £88 they want to get answers to questions such as "Can housing built from tyres, soil, bottles and beer cans be sustainable and yet practical to live in?".

I am - ever so slightly - missing the prospect of the bundle of 500 pages of Committee papers dropping on my mat this weekend. That'll soon pass.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angus
Having read your latest blog has also led me having an ever-so-slight pining after that obligatory 500 page 'catalogue'of special offers in the Comhairle, but like you, I'm also confident these feelings will pass (in the next 10 minutes!). My own copy of that most exciting Recycling weekly is, I'm assured, stopping as of now. I phoned them yesterday and, although they were disapointed (probably because of the 80 quid less in their coffers), they promised it would never drop through my door again.
Yet even more reason to pine for a while....
I think they should have given counsellors to help the ex-councillors readjust back into reality and normal society.

Anonymous said...

Councillors and reality should never mix.