All of which is slightly opaque, but there is one certainty - there will be no referendum.
Allied to the fairly vague press release issued by our MSP finally calling for a clear and early decision, it all seems to add up to an interesting few weeks.
I'm very pleased that the matter should be resolved soon.
Interpreting Mr Mather's words I think I can safely state that there is going to be no Public Local Inquiry, and we are going to get a clean decision. Mr Mather's words make me think it is going to be rejected, but Mr Allan's press release makes me think approval is on the cards. So I haven't a clue what the likely outcome is going to be.
If it is approved, I will be delighted, a position I have been advocating since I considered the proposals in detail.
If it is refused, then the question is "What now for Lewis?". I have also argued that if the moor is such an important national resource, then the community should be rewarded for not disturbing it. In other words, the Government should effectively buy the development rights from the public, providing the communities with alternative funding to allow them to develop. This what the political opponents should have been arguing, rather than just for a straight refusal.
However, I fear that the area will be sterilised by a refusal, preventing any future developments in the area whether by the community or third parties.
And with the community having a huge windfall snatched from under it's noses.
Refusal would bring with it a concomitant responsibility on the Government to find alternative opportunities for the islands to secure our future, rather than cast us aside as another St Kilda.